How does it sound to be able to work a flexible schedule, completely from home, giving customer support without ever having to talk on the phone? Do you love the idea of helping small business owners and artists with what is often the most overwhelming part of their job: the money? Do you want to be a part of something that is working to make accounting, financial education, and bookkeeping more accessible for everyone? If this resonates with you, keep reading!
We are Paper and Spark, a company that helps makers, Etsy shop owners, and creative entrepreneurs by creating bookkeeping templates, courses, and other educational resources that empower them with the knowledge necessary to confidently handle the financial side of their business. Our founder and CEO, Janet LeBlanc, is incredibly passionate about helping other women create a business that enables them to confidently make money doing what they love. Now, we are looking to add our first employee! We are searching for a Customer Support and Operations Assistant to add to our team.
Customer Support and Operations Assistant
Reporting to the founder and CEO, you’ll be responsible primarily for email maintenance and customer support as well as providing operational support. You will be the main point of contact for Paper and Spark’s customer questions, comments, and concerns, but without ever having to be on the phone. You’re also there for what the CEO needs from you – you’re someone who loves to bounce ideas around and find opportunities to streamline, as well as implement processes that will make things easier for everyone.
To do well in this role, you’ll need to be passionate about empowering small business owners to figure out the money aspect of their business. You are someone who is kind and understanding, and you believe there are no stupid questions! Finances are often the most daunting part of owning a business, and you want to be a part of the team that supports people so that they can figure out the money aspect with ease. This is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a growing team as well as an opportunity to help women entrepreneurs build their own financial empires. You’ll be able to work a flexible job from the comfort of your home and likely participate in future company retreats or travel to conferences together, and be a part of a cooperative company where you have a voice!
- Time Commitment: 10-20 hours/week within traditional business hours, more during busy seasons and less during slow seasons. Set schedule will be created upon hire.
- Compensation: $20/hour, with bonus opportunities after tax season each year
- Location: Anywhere in the United States – this role is fully remote
- Status: This position is for a part-time employee. You must be available to be employed by our company and legally eligible to work in the United States.
As the primary point of contact for clients, you will be responsible on a daily basis for…
- Managing the customer service inbox and responding to questions within 24 business hours
- Customizing and troubleshooting technical issues with spreadsheets and formulas
- Answering tech questions and helping customers fix broken spreadsheets
- Answering frequently asked questions about bookkeeping, taxes, and recording transactions for maker businesses (training provided if necessary)
- Upholding our open-door policy – no question is stupid, and everyone deserves to be treated with respect
- Representing Paper and Spark by upholding the company values within every customer interaction
- Verifying purchases and creating customer accounts on various e-commerce platforms
- Following up on failed payments
Your monthly/occasional tasks will include operational support for the CEO…
- Scheduling content for Pinterest, Tailwind, and Instagram
- Creating graphics and images in Canva or Photoshop
- Looking for ways to improve daily operations and bouncing ideas between yourself and the CEO
- Improving and creating content for the Paper and Spark affiliate program
- Assisting with editing video and audio content when needed
- Learning new things and taking on challenges with stride
- Managing tasks, projects, and collaborations in Asana
This could be you if…
- You are detail-oriented and love methodically getting things done
- You have experience working with spreadsheets and want to share your knowledge in an accessible way
- You have basic bookkeeping knowledge and are willing to learn more to effectively help customers with their tax questions
- You know you can figure out anything you don’t know yet
- You’re disciplined and know how to keep yourself on task
- You’re looking for a long-term steady position with a growing company and flexible hours
- You’re available during regular business hours during EST
- You communicate well via email in a way that comes across as patient, kind, and understanding
- You are content to work more through Q4 and Q1 (year-end and tax season) and have a light workload during the summer
- You love to problem solve and troubleshoot, especially when you don’t immediately know the answer and have to work to figure it out
- You understand some customer support issues are very unique and you’re okay with researching things you don’t know
- You are passionate about supporting and empowering women who are pursuing their entrepreneurial dreams
- You consistently look for ways to improve systems and processes and also are excited about implementing your improvements
- You are thorough – you’re in the details and double-check your work
- You’re in it for the long haul – you want a job you can grow in as the company grows and you’re not interested in building your own brand
- You think outside the box
- Google Sheets
- Google Drive
Bonus software (good to know, but not required):
- Deadline Funnel
We are accepting initial applications from now until Monday, June 28th at 5pm EDT. Please note we are accepting applications on a rolling basis and the sooner you apply, the better!
As a company, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage all people regardless of ethnicity, nationality, gender, race, ability, religion, sexual identity, or any other personal identifier, to apply, even if you don’t feel you meet 100% of the criteria.
If you’ve been chosen to move forward to the interview, you’ll be notified shortly after your application is received. If you don’t hear from us, thank you so much for applying and we will keep your application for consideration in the future!
We’ll assess the top candidates in the following weeks (depending on how many applicants we have). If chosen, we’ll invite you to do a zoom interview.
We can’t wait to hear from you!